The Knot, a transgressive cello duo with Nick Storring, has been my principal creative project. Using audacious contra-techniques, we go to startlingly discordant places. But almost despite ourselves, beauty bursts through. Jakob Rehlinger @ Arachnidiscs nailed it: “somewhere between the gravel pit and the northern lights.” No processing; no phone-ins.
- Check out our sold-out limited edition cassette release: Tidewrack, on Cabin Floor Esoterica. Stream Tidewrack on Bandcamp. (And here’s a lovely review on A Closer Listen.)
- You can also listen to The Knot on soundcloud.
I’ve also been privileged to collaborate with many committed sound travellers. A few highlights:
- Members of the legendary improvising collective CCMC (Michael Snow, John Kamevaar). Check out our November 2019 set with Rick Sacks also sitting in
- Indie iconoclast Slim Twig. Check out Gate Hearing, White Fantaseee
- Haunting songsmith Clara Engel. Check out Secret Beasts
- Quorum, a fine ensemble of deep-end improvisors. Check out Gestation
- The inimitable Anthony Braxton leading the AIMToronto Orchestra. Check out Creative Orchestra (Guelph) 2007
- Dronemeister Aidan Baker. Check out Liminoid
- Composer/instigator Kyle Brenders. Check out Ways
- Various members of Toronto’s improvising community. Hear an evening at Audiopollination with guest artist Kathryn Ladano