The Knot, a transgressive cello duo with Nick Storring, has been one of my principal creative projects. Using audacious contra-techniques, we go to startlingly discordant places. But almost despite ourselves, beauty bursts through. Jakob Rehlinger @ Arachnidiscs nailed it: “somewhere between the gravel pit and the northern lights.” No processing; no phone-ins.
- Check out our limited edition cassette release: Tidewrack, on Cabin Floor Esoterica. Stream Tidewrack on Bandcamp. (And here’s a lovely review on A Closer Listen.)
- You can also listen to The Knot on soundcloud.
I’ve also been privileged to collaborate with many committed sound travellers. A few highlights:
- Legendary improvising collective CCMC – hear a recent show with CCMCer Paul Dutton and percussionist Rick Sacks
- Indie iconoclast Slim Twig. Check out Gate Hearing, White Fantaseee
- Haunting songsmith Clara Engel. Check out Secret Beasts
- Quorum, a fine ensemble of deep-end improvisors. Check out Gestation
- Dronemeister Aidan Baker. Check out Liminoid
- Composer/instigator Kyle Brenders. Check out Ways
- Various members of Toronto’s improvising community. Hear an evening at Audiopollination with guest artist Kathryn Ladano; and Mechanical Forest Sound’s documentation of a Synaptic Circus set with Nilan Perara and Rick Sacks
I’ve sat in with members of the legendary improvising collective CCMC (Paul Dutton, 2022; Michael Snow and Kamevaar, 2019); joined the improvising superband at the Music Gallery’s Compose Yourself fundraisers (2006, 2010); and played in the AIM Toronto Orchestra led by Anthony Braxton, released on Spool as Creative Orchestra (Guelph) 2007.